NWSCDC is hiring for a new Business Development Director. Please help us find a great candidate and share this post if you know someone who should apply!
Job Purpose & Reporting Relationships
The Northwest Side Community Development Corporation (NWSCDC) seeks to fill the position of Business Development Director. Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will work with small business clients and entrepreneurial ventures; provide management advice on best practices, business development, business planning, access to capital, marketing, operations and other aspects of running a small business; and serve as a financial expert within the NWSCDC.
The ideal candidate will possess additional credentials or specialized experience that can enhance the skills of the resident staff and offer additional client capabilities (e.g. advanced sales/marketing, business acquisitions, turnarounds, etc.)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic and innovative leadership in the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of NWSCDC’s small business lending program.
- Schedule loan committee meetings in conjunction with the loan committee chair.
- Prepare accurate Loan Committee presentations; present loan information to the Loan Committee, promptly answer questions related to information presented.
- Handle the complex situations that arise in dealing with small business clients; handle more complex client situations that may involve advanced business plans for equity/special situations, in-depth financial analysis, restructuring, operational and organizational issues, acquisitions, valuations, alternative sources of capital, troubled businesses, etc.
- Provides leadership and demonstrates effective timely communication to all stakeholders. Ensures excellent customer service and a welcoming, supportive, and respectful work environment. Investigates and resolves requests and concerns.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships with business and industry partners, agencies, community organizations, and/or education institutions.
- Offer in-depth financial analysis, assist in restructuring, alternative sources of financing and troubled financial situations.
- Goal to assist in increasing capital infusion and work as a strong team player in conjunction with the Social Enterprise Manager, and the Executive Director, Etc.
- Provide specialized expertise for business acquisitions and turnarounds.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with regional bankers, community leaders, local government officials, and other organizations that may be in a position to support funding, either refer clients or offer assistance/resources.
- Continually upgrade financial skills.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Speak and present (to local businesses, chambers, organizations, etc.) on a variety of small business topics.
- Knowledge of the use of information technology to support and enhance programs.
- Formalized credit training or credit risk experience required. Underwriting experience a plus.
- Ability to build community business education programs and collaborative partnerships with local businesses, communities, and academic institutions
- Ability to motivate, train, and develop all business lending staff
- Maintain a strong network of accountants, bankers, attorneys and other professionals to provide timely client referrals for specialized support, when appropriate.
- Have a working knowledge of local, state and SBA/federal loan programs, and be in a position to recommend appropriate programs to clients.
- Maintain and keep orderly records of client files, expense records and other information.
- Attend and participate in NWSCDC staff meetings, loan committee meetings, NWSCDC Board meetings, presentations, events and programs as time permits.
- Participate in business and economic development related events and programs when invited.
- Perform all reporting required by NWSCDC, banks, funders, and government agencies, etc.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required Qualifications: Skills, Experience, Education and Credentials
- BA/BS required; MBA or equivalent a plus.
- Advanced professional development certifications/credits for small business topics is desirable to keep current with best practices.
- Strong counseling and training skills. Training/consulting experience is desirable.
- 5+ years of management and practical business experience in a client/consulting environment.
- 8+ years of Small business and entrepreneurial experience, including raising capital through loans and/or equity.
- Must have knowledge, experience and interpersonal skills needed to provide in-depth assistance and training to a broad spectrum of small business clients and entrepreneurs.
- Ability to relate to a wide range of diversified clients and teach while advising clients on business related issues.
- Demonstrated proficiency in financial analysis, business planning and capital formation subjects.
- Must be able to read and interpret financial statements and help clients prepare loan/financing packages, cash flow projections and pro-forma financial statements.
- Ability to teach complex financial subjects to client base.
Must be knowledgeable and able to advise professional staff and clients on many practical small business subjects including start-ups, incorporation, insurance, intellectual rights, small business software/systems, sales, marketing, e-marketing, franchising, access to capital, financial restructuring, sales/marketing, small business acquisitions, business planning, strategic development, operations, and numerous other small business areas.
This position is full-time with competitive salary and fringe benefits.
TO APPLY: Email cover letter, resume and references to Antoinette Nelson -Office Administrator at Northwest Side CDC: or send written resume and cover letter to Antoinette Nelson, Northwest Side CDC, 4201 North 27th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53216. Position start date to be determined. No phone calls please.