NWSCDC is hiring for a Neighborhood Strategic Planning (NSP) Community Organizer. Please help us find a great candidate and share this post if you know someone who should apply!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize block and stakeholder groups around specific objectives such as safety, beautification, and quality of life standards in designated neighborhood strategic planning areas.
- Create strategic partnerships with the Milwaukee Police Department, the Milwaukee County DA Prosecution Unit, City Departments, elected officials, community groups, Churches, businesses, other nonprofit and stakeholder groups to ensure the reduction of crime, increases in quality of life and housing stock
- Connect with resources to connect with neighborhood residents and stakeholders, where lack-of, advocate for increased resources in NSP Areas.
- Create strategic relationships with residents in NSP areas to grow efficacy, capacity, leadership and neighborhood connectedness
- Grant writing and reporting
- Event planning
- Crime prevention events & activities
- Organize residents in neighborhood clean-ups
- Other duties/activities as assigned
Required Qualifications: Skills, Experience, Education and Credentials
This is a full-time position. A Bachelor’s degree in community development, communications, social work or related degree required. Requires a minimum of 1 year of experience in a community based, non-profit organization, working with volunteers and volunteer organizations or communicating with stakeholder or constituent groups. The ability to communicate, organize and transmit the values and goals of neighborhood residents is needed.
Work hours include some evenings and weekends. Requires a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive to meetings and/or community events and sites. Ability to lift 40lbs, walk for long periods of time and climb stairs a must.
- Uses critical thinking and professional judgment
- Engages Diversity and willing to cross cultural barriers in a variety of professional and business settings
- Engages with Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations, and Communities
- Excellent written and verbal skills required and the ability to organize information in a way that is tangible and inclusive to people at a variety of levels.
- Planning and Organizing- Plans and organizes tasks and work responsibilities to achieve objectives
- Self-starter and motivator
- Ability to organize smaller objectives into large scale development and transformation projects through strategic planning
- Ability to address and overcome a variety of conflicts and obstacles in a manner that respects the needs of each stakeholder and the company
- Ability to readjust and think on feet quickly
- Financial Management- Assesses and projects accurately the financial requirements for assigned work or projects
- Strong passion and ability for advocacy, sustainable community development, and equitable outcomes a must
- The ability to change and adapt quickly
Job requires being outside walking and completing door-to-door contacts with area residents. The individual must be able to approach and communicate with all residents in the area as well as elected officials, MPD, non-profits, businesses and a variety of other groups in professional settings.
*Applicants that previously applied need not apply again.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- community based: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Milwaukee, WI (Required)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
Application is open until the position is filled.